At Goldsworth Primary School, we aim to provide a learning atmosphere which encourages curiosity, perseverance, open-mindedness, critical reflection and co-operation. We endeavour to provide a broad and balanced learning experience for all our pupils and, wherever possible, opportunities to develop skills and gain an understanding of science concepts through first-hand experience and practical work.
Our aims in teaching science include:
- building on children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems
- encouraging open-mindedness, self-criticism, perseverance and responsibility
- preparing children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world
- fostering concern about, and appreciation of, our environment
- building children’s self-confidence to enable them to work independently and developing their social skills to work co-operatively with others
- helping children to acquire a progressive understanding of scientific ideas
- giving children the experience of scientific processes
- helping children to acquire practical science skills
- providing children with an enjoyable experience of science, so that they will develop a deep and lasting interest and be motivated to study science further
Pupils will be given opportunities to:
- develop their understanding through systematic enquiry, using both first hand and secondary sources as appropriate
- use technology to collect, store, retrieve and present scientific information
- relate their work in science to everyday life
- consider simple scientific ideas and the evidence for them and, collect evidence to test scientific ideas in a variety of ways
- communicate scientific ideas and observations using appropriate scientific vocabulary
- present information in a variety of ways including drawings, diagrams, tables and charts and in speech and writing; at key stage 2, pupils should also use standard units of measurement and include graphs to record and present information
- consider health and safety in the context of their science work and take action to control risks
- find out about scientific ideas and theories based upon famous scientists from past or present
Please refer to our Science Subject Overview.
Progression of knowledge and skills
Please refer to our Science progression of knowledge and skills.